Study In Canada

How To Study In Canada Without IELTS


Are you thinking about studying in Canada but feeling a little intimidated by the idea of taking the IELTS?

Well, you’re in luck because you can study in Canada without taking the IELTS!

Yeah, that’s right.


The IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is a standardized test that measures a person’s proficiency in the English language.

Canada and many other English-speaking countries use IELTS to access students’ English language abilities but this is not always the case, especially in Canada.

If you’re looking to study or work in Canada, and you haven’t taken the IELTS exam, you don’t have to worry.

Is it possible to study in Canada without IELTS?

It is possible to study in Canada without IELTS, while many universities in Canada require you to take the IELTS, some universities don’t require it or offer alternatives while some don’t even require any test at all.

Which Canadian university does not require IELTS?

Below are universities in Canada that admit students without IELTS, some of these schools take other alternatives like the TOEFL, and PTE, while some don’t need any test as long as you are from a school where English is the primary language. 

  • University of Guelph

The University of Guelph is a comprehensive public research university located in Guelph, Ontario, Canada.

The University of Guelph offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs in a wide range of disciplines, including arts, science, engineering, business, and veterinary medicine.

The University is known for its strong emphasis on research, and it is home to several research centers and institutes, including the Arrell Food Institute and the Guelph Institute for Environmental Research.

  • University of Winnipeg

The University of Winnipeg is a public university located in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

Founded in 1871, it offers undergraduate and graduate programs in a variety of fields including arts, business, education, science, and kinesiology.

The University of Winnipeg has several notable faculties such as the Faculty of Business and Economics, Faculty of Education, Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Kinesiology and Applied Health, Faculty of Graduate Studies, and the Great Plains College.

It also has several research centers and institutes, including the Centre for Rupert’s Land Studies, the Institute for Women’s and Gender Studies, and the Institute for Urban Studies.

The university has its own English Language Program for both full-time and part-time studies and you need to score a specific point to qualify.

  • University of Regina

The University of Regina is a public research university located in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.

It was founded in 1911 as Regina College and became an autonomous degree-granting institution in 1974.

The University of Regina offers several options for admission to Undergraduate and Postgraduate programs instead of IELTS, they accept TOEFL, CAEL, and Duolingo, scores.

U of Regina also waives the IELTS requirement for applicants who have completed at least three years of full-time study in English at a secondary or post-secondary institution.

  • University of Saskatchewan

The University of Saskatchewan is a public research university located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.

Saskatchewan university is home to several research centers and institutes, including the Canadian Light Source synchrotron, the Global Institute for Water Security, and the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization-International Vaccine Centre.

If you don’t have your IELTS score, you can take the U-PREP program at the University of Saskatchewan Language Centre before proceeding with your course.

  • Cambrian University

Cambrian College is a public college in Ontario, Canada. It offers diploma, certificate, and post-graduate programs in a variety of fields including business, health sciences, engineering technology, and media studies.

Cambrian College does not have a specific policy regarding the IELTS test, but they do have English language proficiency requirements for international students.

They accept a variety of English proficiency tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, CAEL, PTE, and Cambridge.

  • Concordia University

Concordia University is located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and has over 45,000 undergraduate and graduate students.

Concordia offers several undergraduate and graduate programs in business, arts, science, engineering and computer science, fine arts, and journalism.

The university also offers co-op education, which allows students to gain paid work experience related to their field of study.

Concordia waives the IELTS requirement for you if you’ve completed at least three years of full-time study in English at a secondary or post-secondary institution.

  • Algoma University

Algoma University is a small, public university located in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada.

The university offers a variety of undergraduate programs in science, art business, and social work, as well as graduate programs in business and education.

The university also has a strong emphasis on Indigenous education and has several initiatives in place to support Indigenous students.

Additionally, Algoma University has a campus in Brampton, Ontario, which offers a range of degree and diploma programs.

  • Brock University

Brock University is a public university located in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada.

Brock was founded in 1964 and currently has over 18,000 undergraduate and graduate students.

The programs in Brock cover a wide range of disciplines, including business, education, humanities, sciences, and social sciences.

If you’re planning to attend Brock University and you’re worried about your English language proficiency, they have a few options for you.

They have a program called the Intensive English Language Program (IELP) for those who don’t have English proficiency scores.

  • Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador

The Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador (MUN) is a public university that sits in St. John’s, Newfoundland, and Labrador.

MUN offers lots of undergraduate and graduate programs in various fields such as arts, business, education, engineering, medicine, nursing, science, and technology.

The university also has student bodies across fields with several programs to support students from underrepresented groups.

Aside from IELTS, the university accepts other English proficiency tests like the Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Assessment, TOEFL, PTE Academic, Intensive English Programme (IEP), and the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB).

  • Seneca College

Seneca College is an excellent public college located in the Greater Toronto Area of Ontario, Canada.

Founded in 1967, Seneca College has over 35,000 full-time and 75,000 continuing education students.

They offer diplomas and degree programs in various fields such as applied arts and technology, business, health sciences, and community services.

Never miss an update

Subscribe to get Canada-focused update from usSubscribe

Seneca has several campuses throughout the Greater Toronto Area and is known for its strong industry connections, which allow for hands-on learning opportunities and internships for students.

Seneca College accepts CAEL CE, Cambridge English Exams, PTE Academic, and TOEFL scores instead of IELTS scores.

  • Carleton University

Founded in 1942, Carleton University is a public research university located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Carleton’s academic programs cover various fields, including arts and social sciences, business, engineering, public affairs, and science.

Carleton accepts other IELTS alternatives like TOEFL, PTE, and CAEL.

In addition, If you can demonstrate that you have finished three years (full-time) of study at a high school or university in Canada, the US, the UK, or any other nation where English is the official language of the institution, you will also be accepted to Carleton University.

As you can see, there are several options to study in Canada without taking the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam.


In conclusion, studying in Canada without IELTS is possible.

If you want to start your application to study in Canada, click here

You can consider other English proficiency tests like TOEFL or PTE, prove your proficiency through previous studies or work experience, or study at a university that offers English language programs before starting the degree program.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button